Saturday, March 28, 2009

Music: Its The Return Of Depeche, Prodigy And Static

Old names with new music. I’m going retro but not really. Here are some highlights on what rocks the Station’s orbit these days.

DM: I’ve seen the band a few times, however, I never saw them in the keyboard glory days of the 80’s. Although I can imagine what those shows were like by watching “101”. I’m keen to see this tour as the new music is a throwback to the days of “Master and Servant” or “Black Celebration”. A preview of the new album can be found at the band’s MySpace page.

http://www.myspace.com/depechemode

The Prodigy: I’m a bad Ranger. I really like “Fat of the Lamb” which by all accounts of the true fan places me in the *sell out* camp. I can’t help it. There isn’t a week that goes by that I don’t hear “Firestarter”, “Breathe” or “Smack my B” on a passing car stereo or TV program. The disc is ingrained in my memory and every time I think I can walk away… someone licenses it for a movie trailer and I dig the CD out again. I mean I even liked the band’s abandoned attempt to recapture the lightning twice with “Baby’s got a temper”. Over the years, sadly, I lost my fuel for the fire that was The Prodigy. The new album is out and I’m playing with matches in hopes of rekindling a lost love. Hear for yourself at the link below.

http://www.myspace.com/theprodigy

Static X: I came late to the party with StaticX. I admire “Wisconsin Death Trip” but I came along fully around the “Shatter Zone” era. The band’s last outing, “Cannibal”, was a nice blend of Industrial, Metal and a hint of Techno. But the new disc is a straight time warp back to the age of Ministry’s early works and it isn’t for the faint of heart. I’ve got a cover that the band did of Ministry’s “Burning Inside”. So this move wasn’t a surprise to me. But I tend to like the early 90’s Ministry more than the later works. And this new Static record harkens me back to the summer that saw the return of the mega festivals like Woodstock 94.

http://www.myspace.com/staticx

No comments: